Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A moment of negligence, a bleeding forehead


It's not the first time Aidan fell but it's the hardest he'd fallen. I was just right beside him on the sofa and I'd laid our huge Ikea cushions on the floor below just in case. Unfortunately, he toppled the opposite direction I'd anticipated. Everything went SLOOOW MO...... He hit his head really hard first on the edge of the shelf of the coffee table before landing TUD on our ceramic tiled floor.

My heart dropped with him and I knew his skull would surely get smashed. I actually hesitated picking him up for a very brief moment because of what I might see, a pool of blood. I considered for a split second how to get him to the hospital before I picked him up and examined him. There was a wee drop of blood from a tiny bit of scraped skin on his forehead. That's all. No bump, no bruise.


I thought surely, a bruise would appear later, if not the next day, but nope. I still couldn't rest easy the whole day. What if there's concussion? A blood clot?

Aidan of course howled really loudly. I carried him and soothed him and took him away from the scene. Went to my bed and a few minutes later, he struggled free and started to reach for my bed post, the cheeky grin already on his face. Thank goodness.

So, to the friend who recently wrote me a message on facebook: No, I'm not a good mommy at all.

No comments: